Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for info on lens: Continental Optics MC-Auto 135 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on lens: Continental Optics MC-Auto 135 2.8 Reply with quote

Had this in a bin from a tag sale or something. Recently dusted it off because I wanted to play in the 135mm range.

Its a Continental Optics MC-Auto 135mm f2.8, made in Japan, and that is all I know. I can't find any more info online.

I have the hood for it. I'd also like to find a replacement grip for the barrel - anyone got ideas for that?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe carefully cut the rubber grip from another lens and then glue it on?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pimp it with some leather, maybe something outrageous like snakeskin from a ladies purse or maybe a bright coloured leather coat. There's plenty in charity shops. Glue it on with a contact glue and it will peel off later if you wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I'd pimp it with some leather, maybe something outrageous like snakeskin from a ladies purse or maybe a bright coloured leather coat. There's plenty in charity shops. Glue it on with a contact glue and it will peel off later if you wanted.

Ha, I like that idea! And it took me a moment to realize that was my own picture you used.

Anyone got anything on the lens origins?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A familiar lens. Back in 1975 I was working in the cameras/electronics/appliances dept. of a New Jersey based discount chain store. Our buyers announced that we would begin carrying "our own brand of lenses" and discontinuing the Hanimex/Hanimar lenses we had been selling for several years. The new lenses were branded Continental Optics. I recall the box saying "manufactured by Makina Optical Company, Japan. We sold 28mm, 135mm and 200mm focal lengths and may have had an 80-200 zoom. That was a long time and several careers ago.

The brand may not have been ours exclusively and may have been a brand used by Makina. I believe it may have been sold as Continental Optics by other retailers. The K-Mart chain sold the same lenses branded Focal, their house label.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
A familiar lens. Back in 1975 I was working in the cameras/electronics/appliances dept. of a New Jersey based discount chain store. Our buyers announced that we would begin carrying "our own brand of lenses" and discontinuing the Hanimex/Hanimar lenses we had been selling for several years. The new lenses were branded Continental Optics. I recall the box saying "manufactured by Makina Optical Company, Japan. We sold 28mm, 135mm and 200mm focal lengths and may have had an 80-200 zoom. That was a long time and several careers ago.

The brand may not have been ours exclusively and may have been a brand used by Makina. I believe it may have been sold as Continental Optics by other retailers. The K-Mart chain sold the same lenses branded Focal, their house label.

An amazing memory you have there. Thank you for all the info, that is exactly what I was looking for!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found leather... but you inspired me - and I came up with this;

It probably won't last long, but I like it for now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have super albinar 28 M42 in that style distinctive plastic |||||| mount and smaller pastic aperture, orange labeling, orange green M/A
only it has a red R not a , on the right DOF
and MC is not in color

I already forgot what the OEM was on those, Chinon?

Grip is little square pyramids

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens series is very common and found with many brands, Albinar among them. I have a 28mm branded for Hanimex. I have also spotted them wearing Chinon and Rikenon names. They are also found bearing the makers Makinon trademark.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my proposal: Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some shots I took with it.

With my rebel 2000, and Fuji x-tra 400 film

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread, I like the results the lens gives, I particularly like the suggestions by members.
Pimp that lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
This is an interesting thread, I like the results the lens gives, I particularly like the suggestions by members.
Pimp that lens.

Thanks... I went with the thread, since I couldn't find any purses to cut up for the leather. Maybe when the twine falls off I'll go with the leopard print.

It's tough to use the lens currently as the aperture is messed up and VERY slow. I have to set it, and then mess with the auto/man switch till it closes down. And I have to stare down the front of the lens to confirm that its working. The two spiderweb shots were at f5.6.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

ooohhhh, I like that. A bit of endangered species fur on a lens is super cool! Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

ooohhhh, I like that. A bit of endangered species fur on a lens is super cool! Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may have a new trend here. Does it come in ermine?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those grips Smile

Pimp that Lens ..... a new show ?? on what channel ??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, pimp that lens Wink

Could be a cool thread Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome or gold-plated hood would suit it well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just taken with this lens;

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to sell this lens. Anyone interested? Is $30 too much?

I have my sights set on a Canon 100mm f2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alm001 wrote:

With a dodgy aperture, this lens would not be worth much, even if it is capable of OK pictures. 135mm f2.8 was one of the most popular lens specs in film days, and there are lots of decent working copies out there from known brands - even the cheap East German Pentacon was a pretty good lens, produced in large quantities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
alm001 wrote:

With a dodgy aperture, this lens would not be worth much, even if it is capable of OK pictures. 135mm f2.8 was one of the most popular lens specs in film days, and there are lots of decent working copies out there from known brands - even the cheap East German Pentacon was a pretty good lens, produced in large quantities.

That's what I'm thinking. Probably makes more sense to put it on display after I switch to the leopard focus grip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alm001 wrote:
Basilisk wrote:
alm001 wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. Probably makes more sense to put it on display after I switch to the leopard focus grip.

If you do that you'll certainly earn that 30$.