Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Miranda f1.4 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Auto Miranda f1.4 50mm Reply with quote

Hi folks

Picked this lil beauty up recently, it has the front marks visible in the picture so fingers crossed they won't affect the image too much.

It's in the Miranda 44mm thread mount for Sensorex series cameras so I'll have to make an adapter to use it on my NEX, anyone know what the Miranda register happens to be?

Not been able to find much info on this lens, it has an unusual 8-element construction:

So I wonder who made it? It's not the same as the Tomioka 1.4 50.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Miranda made their own lenses for a bit in the 60s:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Miranda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results with this lens - I thought about buying it myself because I like my Miranda 50 mm f1.8 so much.

The Miranda register is 41.5 mm BTW.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Mark

I have been looking for a 1.4 50-ish lens for ages and I had also had an eye out for a Miranda 50 after seeing your pics, very unique look to the images from it. So when I saw this with it's unusual optical scheme I grabbed it as I love the odd and unusual in lenses.

Thats for the info on the register, I can use a NEX - Konica AR adapter to test this lens I reckon, I'll make a proper one when I find a M44 body or Teleconverter to rob the female screw mount from.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't it. But I know that lens since 1967.

Like the summicron M 2/35 with 8 elementsm the miranda seems to be a very well corrected lens. Great resolution power. I expect very nice borders and colors. The contrast should be medium and has internal reflexions. That is the detail of the summicron rendering.

I can't wait for the pics!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Rino

Last edited by estudleon on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find !

There aren't many 50/1.4's for Mirandas
It doesn't seem they made very many of them, unlike Takumars or Rokkors, or even Sears/Ricoh 55/1.4's

Miranda bodies are also getting collectible BTW. I have seen prices rising fast on those. The 1950's ones are already in the hundreds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miranda never actually made their own lenses (kind of - I'll explain more below). But when Soligor began to invest in them in early 60s, Soligor began to source the glass for Miranda.

The earliest lenses were made by Zunow. When Zunow died, Miranda switched to Kowa lenses, and Kowa continued to supply lenses into the Soligor era.

An interesting site about Miranda lenses (in Japanese) is this one: http://miranda.s32.xrea.com/miranda/MSJ_html/lens/index.html

They give some info on some lenses. They seem to suggest that the 21mm lenses were made by Yashica (tomioka?) and the 17mm lens was made by Norita(!) and when introduced was the shortest lens for an SLR that did not interfere with the reflex mirror - the Nikon F's super wide fish eye lenses required mirror lock up and an accessory finder at the time.

According to this site if I'm getting this correct, Miranda/Soligor began to produce lenses in-house around 1966. However they were not built completely in house. The site says that Soligor opened a lens polishing plant in 1970. This is kind of puzzling since it implies that Soligor/Miranda didn't have the means to produce their own glass until 1970, yet had been constructing lenses since 1966.

Perhaps this means that Miranda were producing the barrels (which are quite distinctive and unique to Soligor it seems) - but buying the actual lenses from outside sources.

There's also at least two different schemes for the f1.4/50 - so who know where it came from?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !

What a site !

Plenty of my lenses are in there.

Thank you for posting this !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that more than two different schemes of the 1,4/50, there is only one:the 7 elements one. The 8 elements may be a wrong scheme born in one mistake in the drawing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do adapters for this mount even exist? Provbably not given the price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda f1.4 50mm Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's in the Miranda 44mm thread mount for Sensorex series cameras

Do you have this lens in you hands? Because it seems like it is Miranda bayonet mount an not 44mm thread.

There are at least 3 distinct versions of Miranda 50/f1.4 lens:
1. This one with external aperture coupling, plrobably the earliest model.
2. Later model very similarly looking but without extrernal aperture coupling and with typical Soligor's "ears" on an aperture ring.
3. The latest model with rubber focus grip, built-in hood and conventional aperture ring.

The first and the third lenses for sure have different optical schemes since their optical blocks have very different lengths.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda f1.4 50mm Reply with quote

[quote="dimitrygo"]
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
.............3. The letest model with rubber focus grip, built in hood and conventional aperture ring.

The first and the third lenses for sure have different optical schemes since their optical blocks have very different lengths.

The third is the EC model?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda f1.4 50mm Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
.............3. The letest model with rubber focus grip, built in hood and conventional aperture ring.

The third is the EC model?

Yes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the lens arrives I'll confirm the mount.

I just bought a Miranda 1.9/50 for a fiver to go with this 1.4/50, I already have so many 50s but the Miranda seems to be a rather unusual lens in it's rendering, very painterly bokeh judging by the online samples.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1,4/50 Miranda have born to compete with the 8 elements version of the Super Takumar 1,4/50, being that both have pictorial rendering?

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the 1.4/50 Tak but have read many highly positive comments about it, if this Miranda is as good I expect it will be an interesting and useful lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens arrived today, it's in bayonet mount, not M44. I will have to buy a Miranda TC and make an adapter. I have the 1.9/50 Miranda on it's way to me too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Miranda 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

QUESTION: I have a Auto Miranda lenses - 50MM 1.4 and i want put in to my Canon 60d camara, this lenses have a adapter? please help me and thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no commercial adapters for Miranda bayonet to Canon EOS. I have only seen limited production of Miranda to micro-4/3. Miranda is too long obsolete to interest adapter makers.

Also, the Miranda register distance is smaller than EOS (41.5 mm for Miranda and 44mm for EOS), so any adapter you might make yourself would not allow the lenses to focus to infinity. You would need an adapter with optics in it (like FD to EOS).

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were only a very few "normal" lenses for Miranda that came in the M44 screw.
These would be the very earliest ones from the 1950's, as they would be presets.
Miranda had an "auto" mount early, copied from Exakta, so nearly all 50mm lenses use the bayonet/breechlock mount.

50/1.4 Miranda lenses are quite cheap. The ones made for the Automex/Sensorex metering with the arm tend to have no click stops and the aperture setting is otherwise rather loose (at least on the ones I've had), as the clicks and tactile resistance are built into the camera body side. So a less than satisfactory system for mounting on anything but the Sensorex.