What is this lens?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,
Have just come across an old lens my father used to own. Appears to be in really good condition but not being that much into photography (at the moment) ive got no idea what it is or how much it's worth. Would like to sell it (even if its only worth a few quid) so at least its getting used.

Ive uploaded pictures here, if anyone can help identify it, and its worth so I can sell it for a fair price, I'd be very grateful.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baj/sets/72157625812418505/with/5400588989/

Think this is the one...

Cima Kogaku had a patented[5] system that allowed them to build common lens bodies, and add the appropriate lens mount at the factory. The Pentax version was only K mount, not KA mount. They mostly sold their lenses on an OEM basis, with them sold under a variety of different brands. In the UK, they were sold by Photax as Super-Paragon PMC lenses. Tokyo Kogaku sold them as AM Topcor lenses for their Topcon RM300 camera. Cima Kogaku also sold them directly under the Cimko brand. (Some of the lenses below may not have ever been sold under the Cimko brand.)

* Cimko MT 24mm f2.8
* Cimko MT 28mm f2.8
* Cimko MT 35mm f2.8
* AM Topcor 55mm f1.7
* Cimko MT 135mm f2.8
* Cimko MT 200mm f3.3 (re-branded as the Super Paragon 200mm f3.3)
* Cimko MT 28-50mm f3.5-4.5 (two touch)
* Cimko MT 28-50mm f3.5-4.5 (one touch)
* Cimko MT 35-100mm f3.5-4.3
* Cimko MT 55-230mm f3.5-4.5
* Cimko MT 70-200mm f3.8-4.8
* Cimko MT 80-200mm f3.8
* Cimko MT 80-200mm f4.5

top end for them seems to be around £20

Last edited:
Brill, thank you guys. Is there any other information you feel I should supply about it when trying to sell it?

You'd need to say what camera mount. Paul knows more about these lenses than I do.

blimey...

I was stumped for a while, but after a bit of detective work it looks like it is a Contax/Yashica mount (this is what the CO-Y means on the lens cap)

From Wikipedia:

"These cameras used the "C/Y" lens mount, short for "Contax/Yashica": Yashica being the lower-end consumer brand SLR system made by Yashica/Kyocera that shared its lens mount with Contax SLRs. Zeiss lenses in the C/Y mount came in either AE or MM varieties. MM lenses were more recent, with a setting that allowed the camera to select the aperture as part of its autoexposure system, while the older AE lenses did not. There was often no difference between an older AE and a newer MM lens apart from this feature. Sometimes, the older AE lens may be worth more on the used market because it may be a German-made example, while the newer lens may be Japanese-made, despite their optical formula and build quality being identical."

hope this helps

edit: beat me to it Mark :/

That lens is definitely designed for the Contax/Yashica camera system.

Contax were lovely cameras, with sought after Zeiss lenses. I had three :D The much cheaper Yashicas that shared the same mount, and also many of the Contax features, were also good, but neither brand was very popular.

Punters will be thin on the ground, and TBH it ain't a great lens... Sorry.

Ah memories! My first camera was a Yashica FX3 and I went on to own the fantastic Contax 139 quartz. What a beauty it was. I sold it on Fleabay when I went digi and I've regretted it ever since. Still have the Yashica tho. :)

Ah memories! My first camera was a Yashica FX3 and I went on to own the fantastic Contax 139 quartz. What a beauty it was. I sold it on Fleabay when I went digi and I've regretted it ever since. Still have the Yashica tho. :)

Ooo stop it! I had a 139, which I lent to someone and got stolen :crying: and a 137 that I sold to go Canon when auto-focus arrived :bang: I was young.

Gorgeous cameras, the best of the peak of manual film SLRs. Though TBH, the Zeiss lenses were/are no better than anything from Japan, despite the hype and the price. In fact, some of them were made in Japan by Cosina as I recall.

Back