Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9

Here's the 2nd installment of my M42 Screwmount love affair.

Now I am very lucky to have come across this lens ... I was browsing the Marketplace here as many of us do ... and I came across this lens that Jsherman999 was selling ... it had literally ben posted just as I saw it. So I jumped at the opportunity of purchasing it.

After see in the Scoring 85mm thread I knew what this lens was capable of (in the right hands) ... also seeing the images Jay had posted up in the for sale thread as well ... I just knew I had to buy it (never look a gifthorse in the mouth).

I had just purchased the Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 from him a couple of days prior ... so in a way I was lucky he was selling this as they both shipped to be at the same time ... W00T.

Still getting to grips with Stop-down metering ... i went outside and had a quick play with the 85mm on my K10D .. conditons weren't the best it was very overcast and it is very windy at home as well (hard to lock onto anything).

Here's just a few samples of the 85mm just after i unpacked it.

05-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only PP I have done is a rotation on a couple of images and that is all ... these are jpegs straight off the camera ... no cropping either.
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a few more that I just uploaded.

05-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new lens! I've got the same one, and it's one of my favorites. It looks like you are putting it to good use already.

05-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots, Simon!! I think you now own one of the 'funnest' lenses available for Pentax. Try out some portraits, too.

Metering can be a bit tricky with that lens - I generally would use AV mode or stop down, and then sometimes tweak shutter/Aperture/ISO with the dials a bit to fine tune, but usually it get's it right by itself.

Colors/contrast are beautiful, good job. I think the Pentax 85's can make magic occasionally.

I still want to see some results from that 135, too, which is capable of some stunning stuff also.

05-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that using M with green button is pretty good ... and then if needed ... I just adjust shutter speed either way just a bit if needed and it works a charm (easier than AV and then having to change modes to adjust shutter).

I have a 135 thread ... i just need to upload more images.
Boy that 135 is SHARP ... I can see the individual hairs on my kittens it is THAT good.
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but here are some examples of what the Super-Takumar 135/3.5 can do

These are all wide open

05-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's pretty good indeed for dark stage work ... that's impressive.
I found I haven't posted my 135 thread yet ... will do soon.
I posted one on another forum though ... I thought it was on here.

I have many shots that I have yet to upload though.
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK ... I had to post more images I have taken with this lens.
Autumn is nearing and end ... so i pretty much shot the last of the colour around my place.

05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster

05-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Cute kitties, and a loverly thoroughbred, too! Used to shoot this lens in technical documentation photographs for aerospace testing. It was a much-appreciated tool with excellent sharpness stopped down, and a nice short-tele FL that was handy for detail shots in the wind tunnel. We didn't make much use of its wide-open capabilities (powerful lighting and little call among the engineers for bokeh!), so it's nice to see what this lens can do when used more artistically. Thanks for all the pics, Simon!
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A couple weeks ago that lens was taking images of a coming Spring, and now it's in Oz, taking shots of an approaching fall, three weeks later. Good to see it in the hands of someone who 'sees' as well as you, Simon. Those shots are beautiful.

Especially the first shot - the stunning color, DOF... and the cat shots, but also the red leaves, just great.

05-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the Jupiter-9 and I'm still jealous lol. Great photos everyone and gotta love that colour!
05-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments everyone .... some of these shots were taken with ISO800 ... cos I am a noob and forgot I was shooting inside the previous day ... so there is noise in these pics ... and I was wondering why the shutter speed was up near 1/4000 most of the time ... then i realised ... doh ... back to ISO 100 for outdoors and the pics turned out smoother.

Jay ... we are actually nearing the end of our Autumn ... in a weeks time it will be Winter here ... not as cold as most of the Northern Hemishpere though ... but it can get chilly.

I found using AV I use a +0.5 to 1 EV bump to get it right for that time of day ... although out in the sun I dropped it back to 0.

Not all of the shots were wide open ... I shot a fair bit around f/5.6 to f/8 (mainly the cats).

Pete .. the Jupiter 9 is meant to be pretty damn nice from some of the shots I have seen from it. My next thing I'd like to try with this lens is portraiture outdoors.
05-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, money well spend...