Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spiratone 35mm F/2.8

Tried to find information in internet about the lens, and I did not, except a couple of pictures of this lens with Leica ...so I decided to go and buy this lens and see what happens.
The buyer showed the lens in the original packaging and said that this lens have not being in use since purchasing...well I was a little bit skeptical about that statement, but when I attached the lens to my K20D and tried to change either an aperture or focus rings, I could not...everything was stuck...so with the owner we managed to get aperture ring work, focus ring stayed at the position where it was left 20-30 years ago...
Ok, the owner just gave that lens to me and requested to fix it...he had the other stuff for Nikon so as longashe gave me this lens free of charge, I bought from him Nikkor 50 F/1.4...yes it works with Pentax...
So, going back to the Spiratone...upon getting home I tried to do something with the focus ring and gave up...I had just put WD40 in the space where in my opinion it should've been added and left it for a couple of days.
Each day I tried that ring but it was not moveable...OK, on day 3 I brought this lens to my basement for a more serious treatment...as you can imagine I decided to use a hammer to get the moveable element unstuck...so, the hammer did the job and finally and slowly I got some rotation...GREAT! I added more oil and finally got it work...
Now, back to the info I looked in internet about this lens...as far as the information is limited and there might be somebody who is looking info about the lens I decided to put some details about the lens.
I do not know how many elements it contains, it is very light and compact and has a great appearance.
3 rings on the body:
two are for aperture control and manage
1 - focus ring

As you can imagine all the settings are manual, but that is what I like and enjoy in photography (this is different story).
To attach the lens K to M42 adapter was needed.
Now handling:
focusing I found pretty challenging for me, the focusing ring rotates about 270 degrees; minimal focusing distance is 1 m.
I am not sure if that makes sense to talk about sharpness of this lens, again everything is manual...but for your consideration I am placing some pictures; you will sharpness of the lens wide open and color rendition...All the pictures where shoot in RAW format with some WB correction and sharpening in NikSoft.

Bokeh- I did not have a chance to check it out, but with 1m minimum focusing disctance I doubt that there will be something impressive...

Conclusion(very subjective):- I like this lens very much and colors it producers even with my old and still good K20D :-). I am thinking about K5IIs, so it might be even better.

Thank you for reading, I hope you found this interesting and useful...(sorry for any typos and grammar mistakes)...

The one below was PPed a little bit heavier:

11-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
HYS
Veteran Member

Interesting post. I like it. As far as I know Spiraton was one of the commercial names of a distributing firm.
The lenses were made mainly in Japan. I am not so surprised that it offers good pictures.

Last edited by HYS; 11-12-2014 at 12:48 AM.
11-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
. . .
I do not know how many elements it contains, it is very light and compact and has a great appearance.
3 rings on the body:
two are for aperture control and manage
1 - focus ring
. . .
focusing I found pretty challenging for me, the focusing ring rotates about 270 degrees; minimal focusing distance is 1 m.
. . .

Can you show a picture of your lens? I also have an old Spiratone 35mm f/2.8, but mine has a MFD of .25m.

p.s. Vasyl, have you thought about sharing your photos in the Lens Sample Photo Archive?
11-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Can you show a picture of your lens? I also have an old Spiratone 35mm f/2.8, but mine has a MFD of .25m.
I have one like that. The 'E' at the end of the serial number indicates it was made by Sankor, primarily a maker of cinema lenses. If there is any sun out, it will flare like crazy.

11-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote

p.s. Vasyl, have you thought about sharing your photos in the Lens Sample Photo Archive?
Hello .a.t.
Thank you for reading.
Here it is more info and pictures.
Mine looks a little bit different.

The answer to your second question is - No, I did not think about that. I was not aware about that option, too many threads

are on the forum.
Kind regards
Vasyl

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 14:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have one like that. The 'E' at the end of the serial number indicates it was made by Sankor, primarily a maker of cinema lenses. If there is any sun out, it will flare like crazy.
Hello THoog,
Thank you!
Please see some pictures, the flare is not too bad, as up to me. I was dealing with even more serious issues, let's say Super Takumar 28mm F/3.5.

Last edited by Vasyl; 11-12-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: adding pictures
11-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Sankor? I hadn't thought about who might've made my lens. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Hello .a.t.
Thank you for reading.
Here it is more info and pictures.
Mine looks a little bit different.
. . . . .
Thanks for the pictures.