Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kuribayashi K.C. Petri Orikkor 1:3.5 f=105mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Kuribayashi K.C. Petri Orikkor 1:3.5 f=105mm Reply with quote

I was almost "given" this lens by a member of another forum. He bought it for 10 euros from a camera shop where it was lying in a box full of cheap stuff like filters etc. Since he could not focus the lens he sold the lens to me - for the same amount of money.

This lens was made by Kyoei for Kuribayashi Petri. As such it has a close resemblance to Kyoei Acall lenses.

This 105mm appears to be of the triplet type, as all lens elements are on the front of the lens. The size and shape of the lens also points in this direction: long and thin. Being of a simple design it's no surprise that the lens is fairly contrasty for a lens of this age (1959-1961). It also does not seem to flare, but I haven't tried it extensively today.

Sorry LuisAlegria, no seagulls this time Laughing

(The focus in the portrait is off; it's not an unsharp lens!)

Here it is:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set spotmatic, it seems like a bargain Smile

Nice gem you got and it looks cool too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous results, a fine simple lens. I do like this focal length

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, superb... very nice, I like it Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple "cheating" not the lens is this good Laughing Laughing Great samples as always Peter! I like lens looking too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Attila Laughing

Thanks for the nice comments! So far I really like the Petri. Easy handling and very good picture quality, but I found focusing on the ground glass screen very hard. So I had to resort to Live View to sort that out (as you can see in the portrait this does not always work because of the movements of the subject).

I should compare the Petri to the Meyer Trioplan. Let's see how big the differences are. Too bad I still don't have the 100mm f/3.5 Takumar (also a triplet).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri lenses in general do not have the best reputation, but this series suggests they are worth looking at. Odd mount, so how did you couple it?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Petri lenses in general do not have the best reputation, but this series suggests they are worth looking at. Odd mount, so how did you couple it?

It does not have an odd mount at all. The first 35mm SLR from Kuribayashi Petri, the Petri Penta, had a M42 mount. So this lens, from that era, could easily be coupled to my Pentax K-7 Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results spot, I guess a little better than most phone cam Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice results spot, I guess a little better than most phone cam Smile

Hey, my phone cam has a M42 mount! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots - ! Never actually seen one of these in "real life". Looking at your photo of the lens itself though, I'm reminded of a little 135mm f4.5 Tamron pre-set I had back in the early 1960s. Would that have been a styling co-incidence? I'm not knowledgeable on Petri but had always thought their lenses were out-sourced - although thinking about that, I recognise it's no more than an assumption (unless some unscrupulous sales rep told me a deliberate lie all those years ago!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the lens that often but I had fun trying to track this hoverfly! Smile

Both are 50% crops (hence the noise).