Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuzhou Feihua 50mm F/1.4 CCTV Lens FH5014MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Fuzhou Feihua 50mm F/1.4 CCTV Lens FH5014MC Reply with quote

Fuzhou Feihua make the Fujian 35mm and the 25mm lenses and they make a few 50mm lenses too, one of them has the same design as the 35mm and then there's this one which is easily recognised by it's large front element that makes it look like a flashlight or a trumpet or a water tower or.......you get the idea.

It gives full coverage on M43 but wont screw fully into an adapter, it should work with some trimming. It vignettes somewhat heavily on NEX but nowhere near being completely circular.

It performs like a lot of cheap CCTV lenses and is very similar to the 35mm in a lot of ways, there's a little area of sharpness in the centre and then swirliness towards the edges. I found the 35mm had severe field curvature making the edges soft and could actually be "fairly" sharp towards the edges but not at the same time as the centre but with this lens I find the edges are soft even if you specifically focus at the edges.

It suffers from flaring easily so could benefit from a hood, white highlights are glowy and coma is very strong but overall it's fun to use like the 35mm and gives pretty decent colour and nice bokeh, it certainly gathers a lot of light with the big front element too. It's not a finely crafted lens but for the low price it's not bad and feels better put together than the 35mm and 25mm lenses.

I give it a thumbs up overall and it appeals for the same reasons some of the other cheap cctv lenses appeal to me, they make me think more creatively and I can make mundane objects look fun and interesting with these lenses so you could say they offer something different to more expensive "photographic" lenses, you tend to look for subjects that will suit the lens when you get a feel for it's peculiarities, it's technically poor but I find it makes you look at things from a fresh perspective. You could never compare these lenses to photographic lenses but there are no high quality lenses that will give these results either!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more shots, I noticed when the NEX-5n hit the max shutter speed with this lens the vignetting was worse for some reason...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the effect too. Y

ou sure that's vignetting - you weren't shooting through a length of plastic tube or anything?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plastic tube lol!

I was using the high contrast back and white mode in jpeg instead or raw which seems to exaggerate the effect but you can still see in the second shot the vignetting is less and the only difference in settings is a lower shutter speed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very vibrant color rendition, or was that achieved by adjusting saturation/levels?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekoe wrote:
That is very vibrant color rendition, or was that achieved by adjusting saturation/levels?

I always adjust but I apply the exact same settings to every image I take, I would say it is a pretty vibrant lens as was the 35mm f/1.7

It doesn't hurt that it was a sunny day either!