Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

English Ross Resolux Enlarger Lenses @ Nex-6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: English Ross Resolux Enlarger Lenses @ Nex-6 Reply with quote

Examples for the Ross M39 Enlager Lenses 3.5/50mm and 4.0/90mm
at the Nex-6 via VNEX-System

4.0/90mm

M39 Enlarger Lens from Ross London, who produced Lenses for Carl Zeiss and Goerz.
According to the serial number index from camera-wiki
is the lens build in 1920/21 but i think this is wrong, because the lens was assembled with the Kayfro Black Prince
Enlarger from 1947.
Very heavy build (250g), very good haptic.

a little soft wide open

some macro shots

now the 3.5/50mm - mechanical good as the 90mm, but much smaller lens

on the NEX-5 with VNEX-System

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon 2.8/50mm (110 g), the Resolux 3.5/50mm (129 g) and Resolux 4.0/90mm (249 g)

wide open very soft:

stopping down:

i like the lenses - very cheap, fine haptic, small and good looking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely usable, the Ross London has the old character, more soft then modern glass, pleasant bokeh, and the Rodenstock at f8 is just superb in color and definition,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 11cm f4 Resolux doesn't seem to fit into the Wiki list as I bought it new in about 1960 and the serial no is 94179....well unless the shop who sold it to me found an old as new lens made in 1921-1924 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results... !!

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfhansen wrote Examples for the Ross M39 Enlager Lenses 3.5/50mm and 4.0/90mmat the Nex-6 via VNEX-System4.0/90mm

M39 Enlarger Lens from Ross London, who produced Lenses for Carl Zeiss and Goerz.
According to the serial number index from camera-wiki is the lens build in 1920/21 but i think this is wrong, because the lens was assembled with the Kayfro Black Prince Enlarger from 1947.

Nice photos and nice lenses - but I think Ross produced lenses under licence from the German firms, rather than for them. As for the numbers, I'm no expert on Ross lens serials but do know for certain that at some time after World War II they began a new run of numbers for their binoculars. Perhaps there's more information in the Lens Collectors' Vade Mecum ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ross licensed the Anastigmat (Protar) from Zeiss and I think also the Dagor from Goerz.

The Resolux is a 4/3 tessar type, but has unusual bokeh. The 5cm is for 35mm, the 9cm is for 6x6 and the 11cm is for 6x9. They are very good lenses but the TT&H Entals are better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Great results... !!

Cheers
Henry

+1! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, Ross licensed the Anastigmat (Protar) from Zeiss and I think also the Dagor from Goerz.

The Resolux is a 4/3 tessar type, but has unusual bokeh. The 5cm is for 35mm, the 9cm is for 6x6 and the 11cm is for 6x9. They are very good lenses but the TT&H Entals are better.

Not wanting to hi-jack Wolfhansen's thread but . . .The German firms were very shrewd because not only did they pull in licence fees but also added to profits by selling the requisite glasses from their associated glass making companies. And as for the Entals being better than the Ross lenses, I think you'd need to get the Series II versions to see the difference. Most of the Series II Entals were actually made in Leeds in the Kershaw factory. Back in the mid-1960s I used to talk to the TWO guys who put them together; the shop where I worked would order them and a couple of days later one or other of them would bring them along, wrapped in tissue paper in plain brown cardboard boxes. Literally, hand-built to order Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to camera-wiki:

Ross had an early close association with Carl Zeiss in Jena, Zeiss licensed some Ross patent designs particularly for EWA lenses and in turn Ross had a license for the British Empire to make some Carl Zeiss lens types. Zeiss built a factory in London, mainly to produce binoculars, but some camera lenses appear to have been produced. The factory was taken over by Ross during the First World War. Ross also made some cameras, from about 1855 to the 1910s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sharpness from these tiny lenses! Colours are natural as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleasing results.