Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Skoparex 3.4/35 (Icarex BM)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Skoparex 3.4/35 (Icarex BM) Reply with quote

on 5D:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me Orio!
I have that one, too, bought aside with the Ultron.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!2 looks very 3d!Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is decently sharp, but nowhere near the Distagons or the Flektogon 35. It's more in the Flektogon 20 or 25 league.
Nice colour, it suffers however from being (presumably) single coated, or, multi coated with a cost saving formula. I had to adjust the white and black points in all photos, something that I rarely have to make with the distagons.

Let me remind, this is a Voigtlaender designed lens. Zeiss bought Voigtlaender and put the Zeiss name on the Icarex cameras and lenses.

bokeh is nice I think for a wide lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Orio!!!!

Like the colours too... {too bad for the litter (bottles) in pic no. 9}

Did you use the Leitax adaptex on the 5D?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Nice pics Orio!!!!
Like the colours too... {too bad for the litter (bottles) in pic no. 9}

yep... some idiot has decided to leave a trace of his passage on the landscape for the next 1.000 years.

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Did you use the Leitax adaptex on the 5D?

Yes, very good crafted tool.
Not having the chip, however, I missed the liveview of the 5DII. I focused wrong a few pictures. In a dark afternoon, a f/3.4 wide angle lens can be hard to focus without aid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yep... some idiot has decided to leave a trace of his passage on the landscape for the next 1.000 years.

The situation here in Greece is even worst... no respect at all for nature and it's a pity Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Yes, very good crafted tool.
Not having the chip, however, I missed the liveview of the 5DII. I focused wrong a few pictures. In a dark afternoon, a f/3.4 wide angle lens can be hard to focus without aid.

And quite expensive without a AF chip.. some competition from others should drive the prices down...
Adding an EMF AF chip sould be an easy job if the adapter leaves enough room between the chip and the pins...

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:01 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...it suffers however from being (presumably) single coated, or, multi coated with a cost saving formula.

It might have one of the Dual-layer coatings(usually blue-golden in colour ) that were availiable before the multicoatings arrived...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the composition are very nice. like you, i was a little surprised at the lack of sharpness, especially for such an expensive lens--i believe it is in the same price category as similar distagon?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Orio, you have winter over there. Your usual careful eye and fine scenes of your lovely countryside. I'm not sure to what extent the light/mist hampered both the contrast and the apparent sharpness. Lens does seem to have character though.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the sharpness or lack of it but I love the colour...there is a realness to these photos almost a sadness as the country side sits in winter waiting for spring....the houses on the hillside in #10.You see the images of Italy in brilliant sunshine very rarely do you see the opposite and these photos brought that home...every place is the same in winter...brown,dull...sitting waiting.....
and every country has it's litter bugs!! Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very beautiful tonalities in all the photos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i believe it is in the same price category as similar distagon?

When I saw this lens sold stand-alone it always went for a price between 100-150 Euros.
Considering that a Contax Distagon 2.8/35 can be had for about the same money, I think it does not make much sense unless you are a collector and like the aesthetics of the lens - which is indeed really beautiful in my opinion, and surely make a nicer visual impact than a Contax lens in a collection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
So Orio, you have winter over there. Your usual careful eye and fine scenes of your lovely countryside. I'm not sure to what extent the light/mist hampered both the contrast and the apparent sharpness. Lens does seem to have character though.
patrickh

Yes, I will have to run another test trip when the light is better. However I am sure that the Contax Distagons would have given better contrast in this situation.
All in all, honestly, this lens bears the Zeiss name but could be any other decent brand lens...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I don't know much about the sharpness or lack of it but I love the colour...there is a realness to these photos almost a sadness as the country side sits in winter waiting for spring....

Many people touch up winter photos to make them look warmer. I don't. I like to keep the atmosphere. The only picture where I made a warmer WB is the first one because it actually centres on the leaves and the warmer tone made them look better. For the rest I keep the winter tones. I like realism.

Mo-Fo wrote:
the houses on the hillside in #10.You see the images of Italy in brilliant sunshine very rarely do you see the opposite and these photos brought that home...every place is the same in winter...brown,dull...sitting waiting.....

Well, we're in the north of Italy here, and far from the sea... weather is more similar to France or Germany than it is to mediterranean Italy.

However what you write is true, I think for all countries, we're most exposed to "pictoresque" images than to the real... for instance, I think that what all Italians know of South Dakota is the Mount Rushmore photograph... no one of us saw anything else of South Dakota except those who actually been there.
I think this applies to most every country.

Mo-Fo wrote:
and every country has it's litter bugs!! Confused

yes... however here in the north the environmental consciences have bettered in the last years. You see less of those plastic bottles thrown around and we have a good percentage (near 50%) of people doing the separate trash collection (or what ever name it is called in English). The percentage is good considering that the separate trash collection started only two years ago. Unfortunately not all Italy does like us, in the south the separate trash collection is still at 10% or lower.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last pic is my prefered.

The skoparex, as you said, is a non MC lens. With the best performance at F/8-11. Which aperture did you use?

I used it for near 10 years, and not the best voigtlander bessamatic/ultramatic lens. Nice colors. The voigtlander schame is the same than icarex one.

There are two types. The oldest, focus from 1 m and the newest focus from 0,6 m.

Remember that the lens is a 1956/7 design retrofocus triplet with 6 elements in 5 groups. 40,5 mm filter/shade ring snap on. Filters, are for b&W, skylight (very strong color transmitt to the pic) and polarizer.

It's a lens very prone to flare with a reduced contrast becuse that. The shade is a nice little one.

I shouldn't use it anymore. That old design and glass can't compite with the newest designs and glass from 1980 to today.

And if somebody want to use one 35 mm focal lens in (or compatible) voigtlander mount I suggest the Scheneider Curtagon retina reflex 2,8/35 (easily modificable).

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio
Separate rubbish collection=Recycling,we have our normal rubbish then we just call the other Recyclables it just started where we are last year but has been in the major centres of Australia for a few years.In the state of South Australia they buy back the used plastic and glass containers to prevent the roads being covered in plastic Cr#p....very long roads without much population!!