Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 109mm 1.6 DDR Projection lens on FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 109mm 1.6 DDR Projection lens on FF Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently bought a German projection lens Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 109mm f1.6 and adapted it for taking pictures on the Canon 6D.

Lens photos:

Visionar 109mm 1.6

Visionar 109mm 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Surprisingly, I was able to get it in perfect condition, without dust and scratches for 110 Euro + 30 for delivery to Russia.

Additional information about the lens:
Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 1.6 / 109 - 35mm film projector lens from Carl Zeiss projector TC 35. It can be used for photography in the modern full-frame cameras with the achievement of the focus to infinity.
Before 1966, the factory produced optical Rathenower Optische Werke (ROW) (Germany). Lenses Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 109mm 1.6 and Rathenower Optische Werke Visionar 109mm 1.6 have the same optical system and minor external differences. Bore diameter - 62,5mm.
Visionar 109 / 1.6 has virtually no analogues due to excellent optical characteristics, inaccessible even to most modern lenses, combined with a huge aperture and focal length portrait. Recently gaining popularity among photographers.

Visionar History:
The cinema projection lenses VISIONAR distinguished by characteristics that make them suitable for wide-screen process. Of particular note is its excellent image quality. It surpasses even that of the known as well Prokinare; because Visionar show no more coma. All other aberrations, spherical aberration, spherochromatic residual error, curvature of field and astigmatism and distortion are completely eliminated.
The Visionar was developed by Carl Zeiss Jena in the sixties as a 6 lens/element Gauss type for 35mm Film/cinema projection (exactly 18,1 x 23,2 mm) and thus will nearly fill the Nex?s sensor. It was a series of powerful lenses, mostly manufactured at Carl Zeiss Jena or at Rathenower Optische Werke ROW up to the very impressive 1,9/200 which has a 4.1" front element.
The resolution of those lenses (fully open, no aperture) reached 10?m from center to 10mm off and then declines to 20 ?m at 15 mm (circle of 30 mm) and is therefor suitable for a lot of CCD or CMOS sensors with similar pixel size ( or via binning) in astronomy.
This was published by Carl Zeiss Jena in the anual Yearbook 1960 part 1 on page53

My personal opinion about the lens:
Strengths:
- A huge 1.6 aperture at 109mm distance
- Excellent sharpness across the frame
- Natural color reproduction
- Minimal chromatic aberration (purple fringing is missing, spherochromatism minimum)
- The lack of "soft" (spherical aberration)
- The absence of coma, astigmatism is either absent or weakly expressed.
- The lack of optical distortion
- Working distance allows the focus to infinity on SLR cameras
- Pleasant "bokeh" effect without the "spin"
Weak sides:
- Manual focus
- A lot of weight with the helicoid
- The absence of diaphragm
- The need for additional production of the helix to focus and attachment to the camera
- Small depth of field curvature of the plane
A comment:
Why Visionar 109mm 1.6 is considered ideal glass:
- Focal length for portraits
- Aperture 1.6
- Optical characteristics
- Price

Now in more detail. Probably in the global network has revised and re-read all of this, or much about the projection lenses. And I can conclude that there are practically no alternatives Visionar. This and performance characteristics, very few conceals FF, normally, the pole hole 1.6 and lighter does not occur, there is positive infinity. Already silent, that no measure disadvantages as terrible CA strongly curve DOF, bad drawing, soft, eerie twist the outer part of the frame (because many are designed for 16 and 35 mm film, which is less than FF) incomprehensible color and etc.
Near the Carl Zeiss Jena there is a series of projection lenses, such Prokinar, but judging by the small number of photos with their picture quality is an order of magnitude worse. Soviet projection lenses also do not stand side by side. At a minimum color rendering, chromatic aberration, and software.
In a series of Visionar this lens has a focal length at the aperture ratio 1.6. Lenses with a larger focal length (119mm, 130mm, 141mm, 154mm, etc.) already have a smaller aperture ratio of 1.9, as well as with an increase in the focal appears soft images and increases the soft effect. Features like 1.6 aperture at 109mm focal length provides background blur, roughly equal lens Canon 85mm 1.2 and the Canon 135mm 2.0. Nor Visionar 109mm 1.6 no worse optically, and in some aspects better. This is despite the fact that he - an old German projection lens, which is nearly half a century.
Operating segment allows to focus to infinity even SLR cameras. Lenses with close to 109 Visionar 1.6 features (Photoobjectives, cinema lenses, other projection lenses) or give a much worse picture, or are at times or ten times more expensive.

Photos at f1.6, мinimum correction (only white balance, added vignetting on some pictures, the contrast)
To view the photos in large size, click ... under the photo, and there "to open the original"

Visionar 1.6/109

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109 1.6

Visionar 109mm 1.6

Visionar 109mm 1.6

Visionar 1.6/109

My lens review:
https://youtu.be/gcXDCLnpKE4

Your opinion on the lens, the picture quality and bokeh?

Last edited by Lexx on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here LEXX and congrats to your find!

With all due respect I would claim that this site here and its contributing members was and still is the reason why the VISIONAR lenses gained so much attention recently and its prices are 10x of what they have been before.

You made a nice write up and good photos (way too small to show the lens' capabilities IMHO).

If you search for VISIONAR on the search field, you'll see soon how much was posted and discussed about it here Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the prices are very much increased by these lenses. The Internet is very little information about them. Also, probably about 10-20 people who have adapted them and actively using to take pictures. I think it is because of their small amount of production.

When you click on the photo is its ability to view in large size (...-> otkrit original).
later show still photos with this lens. and next week is likely to complete filming the guy and the girl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine 5 years ago for 1 euro from Germany, this was before it was a 'known' lens and therefore they had very little value.

Looks like the value has increased by a colossal factor over the last 5 years.

They are very good lenses of course, but the current pricing does seem a bit incongruous to me. The more modern Schneider Cineluxes and Cine-Xenons and the ISCO Ultras outclass the Visionar due to the use of modern glass types, aspheric elements and advanced multicoatings. That said, the Visionars have a strong character and distinctive rendering, particularly of bokeh.

I don't use my Visionar often as it's a 168mm and absolutely huge and very heavy; plus I'm not a person who shoots with large apertures and small dof very often.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I bought mine 5 years ago for 1 euro from Germany, this was before it was a 'known' lens and therefore they had very little value.

Looks like the value has increased by a colossal factor over the last 5 years.

They are very good lenses of course, but the current pricing does seem a bit incongruous to me. The more modern Schneider Cineluxes and Cine-Xenons and the ISCO Ultras outclass the Visionar due to the use of modern glass types, aspheric elements and advanced multicoatings. That said, the Visionars have a strong character and distinctive rendering, particularly of bokeh.

I don't use my Visionar often as it's a 168mm and absolutely huge and very heavy; plus I'm not a person who shoots with large apertures and small dof very often.

I would be interested to see photos from Visionar 168mm f1.9 will be able to show? This is a very rare lens

Visionar 109 1.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig it out and shoot some for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Visionar 1.6/109

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Excellent post on the project. Nice job on the conversion. The images are splendid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh of Visionar 1.6/109

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few photos from Carl Zeiss Jena Visionar 1.6 109

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What focusing mechanism is that? Does the helicoid come with the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
What focusing mechanism is that? Does the helicoid come with the lens?

This one had a focusing adapter which was made by a mechanic in Russia.

Usually they have not one, as it is a projection lens, so an own solution has to be found. Not difficult these days as others (icl. me) have described their solution in detail. Rafcamera.com makes adapters for that (front towards projection lens and rear towards camera) fitting chinese focusing helicoids (ebay).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So smooth! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
So smooth! Like 1 small

Thank you!

Here are the photos